Learn how to create and maintain a fire-wise and sustainable landscape that supports biodiversity and meets County code requirements. We can help you with plant selection, placement, and maintenance to preserve and enhance wildlife habitat, while keeping your property and neighborhood fire-wise and sustainable.
This two-hour workshop will allow plenty of time for questions, and will provide:
• Strategies for structural hardening in the wildland urban interface from Jeff Lemelin, Fireline Mitigation.
• Recommendations for fire-wise landscaping in the 0-5’, 5-30’, and 30-100’ defensible space zones.
• Practical ways to reconcile the sometimes conflicting guidelines to achieve a beautiful, biodiverse, firewise landscape that conserves precious water and energy.
• A practical understanding of what it means to be sustainable in an ever-changing California climate.
• Resources for how to move forward with your landscape and community.
Workshop creators and presenters include:
Jeff Lemelin: Certified Wildfire Mitigation Specialist, Volunteer Battalion Chief Sonoma County Fire District
Mimi Enright: Program Manager, UC Cooperative Extension Master Gardener Program of Sonoma County
April Owens: Executive Director, Habitat Corridor Project; Horticulture Chairperson, CNPS-Milo Baker Chapter Jon Kanagy: Design and Implementation Project Manager, Sonoma Ecology Center